from The Worcester Spy, November 6, 1861 , (Volume 90 # 44), 
The Camp at Poolesville

L. H. Boutelle, Esq., arrived home from Poolesville Saturday afternoon, where he spent considerable time among the troops, inquiring as far as possible into the fate of the wounded and lost. He adds but little, except in interesting detail, to the facts already given to the public. With reference to the fate of Lieut. Greene of Co. F, there does not appear to be any evidence that he was killed, or even wounded. He took command of his company after Capt. Sloan was wounded, which was very early in the day, and gallantly led his men into the thickest of the disastrous battle, and fought with such conspicuous courage that his praises were in all men's mouths. He was last seen alive, however, and his friends cherish the hope that at some future period, perhaps not very distant he may be restored to them.

It has been confidently reported and believed that the rebels were guilty of acts of savage atrocity toward the dead bodies of our slain. It may relieve, the painful anxiety of friends tio have it known, as it is direct from the officer who was detailed to cross the river with a flag of truce, to bury the dead that the stories of their being stripped and bayoneted are almost or quite wholly unfounded. In but two instances had clothing been removed, and the worst acts of barbarity charged upon the enemy do not appear to have been committed. In several cases buttons and shoulder straps had been removed.

The fifteenth regiment some time since returned to their daily routine, and the utmost cheerfulness and good feeling prevailed among them. It doesn’t matter how soon, the sooner the better, its ranks are recruited from among friends, neighbors, and townsmen of the men who first joined it , and whose brave right arms have already established its fame.

Lieut. Greene----Dispatches have been received by L. H. Boutelle, Esq. of Westborough, brother- in law of Lieut. Greene of North Brookfield, expressing strong hopes, founded on inquiries made at Poolesville, that he is still living.


Returned Soldiers of the Fifteenth Regiment

Five privates of Co.C, fifteenth regiment belonging in Clinton named Briggs M. Daboil, Samuel L. Smith, Matthew Greelman, Frank Grachein, and Henry Kinney, the first three wounded in the Balls bluff fight, and the last two sick from the hospital at Poolesville, arrived in Worcester by the express train from New York, Sunday forenoon. They left Poolesville on Friday morning. The men were in charge of Lieut. A. L. Fuller, and were taken to Clinton by private conveyance from this city. Governor Andrew received a dispatch Saturday, from his aide, Col. Henry Lee Jr. at Poolesville, stating that Private Turner of Clinton died of his wounds after the battle.



15th Massachusetts VI